Dynamic, rich, plural, ever-changing… Bordeaux, the capital of Nouvelle-Aquitaine, is a trendy destination, proud of its many assets which earned the city the title of " European Best Destination ".
Its unique architectural UNESCO World Heritage Sites, its lively riverside terraces, its star-spangled restaurants, and its increasingly lively artistic and cultural scene make it a destination not to be missed.
Capital city of Nouvelle-Aquitaine and gateway to the territory, it is just 1 hour from Paris by plane and 2 hours by train. A city on a human scale to explore, as well as its surroundings: just under an hour’s drive to the beaches of the Atlantic Coast and the highest white sand dune in Europe, which marks the entrance to Arcachon Bay. The most prestigious vineyard in the world and its 7,000 chateaux that stretch all around the city of Bordeaux...
Since 2015, Bordeaux has received the following distinctions : « European Best Destination » in 2015 –« 2nd Place to go » in 2016 according to The New York Times - « The best city to travel » in 2017 according to Lonely Planet.
Bordeaux is the capital of the world’s largest fine wine vineyard with 65 AOCs (Protected Designation of Origin) spread out over 111.000 hectares and its 6 wine routes. Bordeaux Pomerol, Saint-Emilion, Margaux, Graves and Sauternes… so many dreamy and mouthwatering names of great wines and spirits! The visit begins with La Cite du Vin and continues with wine-related activities (tasting, wine tours, workshops, grape harvesting…).
« The town with 1000 restaurants » boasts 13 starred-restaurants and three grand chefs (Pierre Gagnaire, Philippe Etchebest and Gordon Ramsay), a modern cuisine, local products found on the farmers’ markets, wine bars…
Did you know ? Bordeaux is the French town with the most restaurants per capita (1 restaurant / 285 inhabitants).
In Bordeaux, the hotel offer is constantly developing and diversifying. Stylish establishments in private mansions and lifestyle and upscale accommodations are opening regularly in the city. Many 4* and 5* hotels are opening or being renovated. Not to mention the increasing offer of out-of-the-ordinary activities and cultural visits in the city to accommodate FIT as well as groups (millennials, seniors, families with children...).
Eco-responsible accommodation and sites, venues that are dedicated and eco-labeled such as Darwin, an increasing number of cycling paths and slow mobility transportation… Bordeaux is committed to preserving the environment and offers over one hundred 100% eco-friendly addresses.
Discover the destination’s top sites, not to be missed.
An adaptable suggestion to discover Bordeaux and its surroundings’ essentials in 2 to 5 days.
• An accessible city and gateway to the territory
• By plane : Bordeaux-Merignac airport, with 3 terminals and many international connections : Paris (1h), Madrid (1h15), London (1h40), Berlin (2h25). www.bordeaux.aeroport.fr
• By train : Bordeaux Saint-Jean station 10 minutes from the city centre - TGV Paris Montparnasse (2h), Brussels (4h via the Thalys) www.thetrainline.com / www.raileurope.com / www.thalys.com / www.oui.sncf
• By car : It’s simple to rent a car at the station or airport, to visit the entire region, easy self-drive with motorways to Paris (A10), Rhône Alpes (A89), Occitanie and the Pyrenees (A62), Biarritz, Pyrenees and the Iberian peninsula (A63 et A65) www.bordeaux.aeroport.fr/
• And once you have arrived : 4 tramway lines, 65 bus lines, open service bicycles and electric cars, ferries. www.infotbm.com
Bordeaux Tourism and Convention website for professionals
Bordeaux Travel planner
2020 Press kit